About The Royal Oak

The beautiful Grade II listed Royal Oak at Leighterton is thought to date from the 1700s and is described by BBC’s Doomsday Reloaded as “more likely a village pub than many in the Cotswolds”.


In recent years, the building has undergone extensive renovation which saw it carefully restored whilst ensuring that it stayed faithful to its origins.


The Monarch’s Way – the 615 mile route that Charles II took when fleeing Parliamentary troops after the Battle of Worcester in 1651 – traverses Leighterton and passes right through the site of the Royal Oak. Ours is the only Royal Oak pub situated directly on the Monarch’s Way route.


The village’s ancient church – St. Andrews – dates from the 13th century and, in a nearby copse of trees, is a Neolithic burial mound, the oldest in the Cotswolds. The church’s cemetery is the resting place for Australians who were stationed at RAF Leighterton and who died during the First World War. The ANZAC Association hold an annual memorial in Leighterton.